Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines
|Court filing: Manafort faces more than 19 years in prison
WASHINGTON (AP) — Paul Manafort, the one-time chairman of Donald Trump's presidential campaign, could spend more than 19 years in prison on tax and bank fraud charges, prosecutors said Friday.
POSTED FEBRUARY 15, 2019 8:54 PM
|U.S. raises pressure on Maduro via sanctions, aid airlift
The U.S. Treasury said it sanctioned PDVSA chief Manuel Quevedo, three top intelligence officials and Rafael Bastardo, who U.S. officials say is the head of a national police unit responsible for dozens of extrajudicial killings carried out in nighttime raids on Maduro's behalf. Separately, a U.S. official said U.S. military aircraft are expected to deliver more than 200 tons of humanitarian aid to the Venezuelan border in Colombia, with the shipment likely to take place on Saturday. The steps are part of a wider effort by the United States to undermine Maduro, whose 2018 election it views as illegitimate and whose government it has disavowed, and to strengthen opposition leader and self-declared president Juan Guaido.
POSTED FEBRUARY 15, 2019 4:43 PM
|Iran general says Pakistan backs group behind suicide bomb
Iran's Revolutionary Guards accused "Pakistan's security forces" of supporting the perpetrators of a suicide bombing that killed 27 troops on Wednesday, in remarks state TV aired Saturday. "Pakistan's government, who has housed these anti-revolutionaries and threats to Islam, knows where they are and they are supported by Pakistan's security forces," said Revolutionary Commander Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari, referring to jihadist group Jaish al-Adl ("Army of Justice").
POSTED FEBRUARY 16, 2019 4:00 AM
|Aurora shooting victims: What we know about those killed in Henry Pratt warehouse shooting
Five employees were fatally shot when a gunman opened fire Friday inside a sprawling manufacturing warehouse in Aurora, Illinois.
POSTED FEBRUARY 16, 2019 11:43 PM
|Family of IS teen appeals to UK to help bring her home
LONDON (AP) — The family of a pregnant British teenager who ran away to join the Islamic State group urged the government Friday to help bring her home.
POSTED FEBRUARY 15, 2019 4:22 PM
|Honda's pickup trucks recalled because they can catch fire from car wash soap
The Honda pickup is subject to a new recall to fix faulty fuel pumps that can crack when exposed to acids in car-wash detergents.
POSTED FEBRUARY 15, 2019 12:56 PM
|The 20 Most Powerful Crossovers and SUVs You Can Buy in 2019
POSTED FEBRUARY 15, 2019 2:35 PM
|Watch a space harpoon impale a piece of space debris
The U.S. government tracks 500,000 chunks and bits of space junk as they hurtle around Earth. Some 20,000 of these objects are larger than a softball.To clean up the growing mess, scientists at the University of Surrey have previously tested a net to catch chunks of debris. Now, they've successfully tested out a harpoon.The video below, released Friday by the university's space center, shows a test of the experimental RemoveDEBRIS satellite as it unleashes a harpoon at a piece of solar panel, held out on a 1.5-meter boom.The harpoon clearly impales its target. "This is RemoveDEBRIS' most demanding experiment and the fact that it was a success is testament to all involved," Guglielmo Aglietti, director of the Surrey Space Centre at the University of Surrey, said in a statement. Next, the RemoveDEBRIS team -- made up of a group of international collaborators -- is planning its final experiment: responsibly destroying the satellite.In March, the RemoveDEBRIS satellite will "inflate a sail that will drag the satellite into Earth's atmosphere where it will be destroyed," the university said a statement. This is how the group intends to vaporize the future dangerous debris it catches. SEE ALSO: Trump fails to block NASA's carbon sleuth from going to spaceHuman space debris hurtles around Earth faster than a speeding bullet, with debris often traveling at 17,500 mph, or faster. The threat of collisions is always present, though in some orbits the odds of an impact are significantly lower than others. The International Space Station, for instance, is in a relatively debris-free orbit, but even here there is the threat of "natural debris" -- micrometeors -- pummeling the space station.Other orbits have considerably more debris spinning around Earth. In 2009, a derelict Russian satellite slammed into a functional Iridium telecommunication satellite at 26,000 mph, resulting in an estimated 200,000 bits of debris. In 2007, the Chinese launched a missile at an old weather satellite, spraying shrapnel into Earth's orbit.This risk amplifies as more satellites are rocketed into space. SpaceX now has government-approved plans to launch thousands of its Starlink satellites into orbit -- perhaps by the mid-2020's, should they amass money for the pricey program. This would double or triple the number of satellites in orbit."It is unprecedented," said Kessler, NASA's former senior scientist for orbital debris research told Mashable. "The sheer number, that's the problem."Kessler has long warned about the potential of catastrophic chain reactions in Earth's orbit, wherein one collision creates enough weaponized debris to create a cycle of destruction. Designs to harpoon dangerous chunks of debris are just being tested in space today, but the technology could prove critical as Earth's orbit grows increasingly trafficked with large, metallic satellites. WATCH: Ever wonder how the universe might end?
POSTED FEBRUARY 15, 2019 11:52 AM
|BofA Says a ‘Real’ Trade Deal Could Vault S&P 500 to Record High
The firm’s model on corporate earnings and equity valuations suggests that the market has priced in “a partial deal,” one where only some of the issues get resolved in favor of corporate America, according to strategists led by Savita Subramanian. In a best-case scenario, the S&P 500 could climb 5 percent to 10 percent when a “real deal” is struck. Companies from 3M Co. to Stanley Black & Decker Inc. have slashed their guidance this year, citing either trade tensions or weakening demand in China.
POSTED FEBRUARY 15, 2019 1:23 PM
|Chicago police seek follow-up interview with 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett
Chicago police have shifted the direction of their investigation into actor Jussie Smollett's report of a hate-crime assault and are seeking to interview him again, after releasing two men detained for questioning in the probe, a police spokesman said on Saturday. Smollett, 36, an openly gay African-American performer who plays a gay character on the musical hip-hop TV drama "Empire," ignited a furor on social media last month when he reported he had been attacked on the street by two men yelling racial and homophobic slurs. According to Smollett's account, his assailants struck him in the face, draped a rope around his neck and doused him with an "unknown chemical substance" before fleeing. Police said the actor took himself to a hospital but was not seriously hurt. On Wednesday evening this week, police said they arrested two Nigerian brothers described as "persons of interest" who were recognised from surveillance camera footage taken in the area of the alleged Jan. 29 assault. The pair were freed two days later without charge, police told Reuters on Friday, in light of "new evidence" from their interrogation. Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi denied a media report on Thursday that detectives were looking into whether Smollett had staged the attack, saying then that there was "no evidence to say this is a hoax." On Saturday, Guglielmi issued a brief statement saying that "information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the 'Empire' case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation." He added, "We've reached out to the 'Empire' cast member's attorney to request a follow-up interview." Attorneys for Smollett said in a statement late on Saturday that he was "angered and devastated" by recent reports that the alleged attackers were people he is familiar with, including a personal trainer he hired to prepare him for a music video. "He has now been further victimised by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying," said the lawyers, Todd Pugh and Jonathan Brayman. Smollett and his attorneys anticipate being further updated by the Chicago police department on the status of the investigation and will continue to cooperate, they said. Meanwhile, the New York Post reported that Smollett has also retained the services of criminal defense lawyer Michael Monico, a former Illinois federal prosecutor who is also representing President Donald Trump's former personal attorney and fixer, Michael Cohen. Monico could immediately be reached for comment. "Empire" debuted on the Fox network in 2015 and has earned multiple Emmy nominations. Smollett plays the character Jamal Lyon, a member of the family that is the focus of the show.
POSTED FEBRUARY 17, 2019 12:48 AM